Race & Rurality in Schools: Perceptions and Identities
The Race & Rurality in Schools: Perceptions and Identities Badge is issued by the Rural Education Institute. This badge is for teachers, school administrators, and community stakeholders and explores issues related to equity, social justice, diversity and inclusion. The badge examines the problem as it exists in rural and minority communities, versus the problem as it is viewed through the lens of various stakeholders. The badge further details how safe spaces are created for students and provides strategies for becoming better advocates for the students they serve.
The verified recipient of this badge has demonstrated competence in the following areas:
- Diversity in the school community
- Cultural awareness and its impact on student learning
- Strategies for advocating for equity
- Create a list of actionable strategies to develop an equitable classroom
- Complete the cultural assessment and identify practices that need to be amended
- Develop an action plan for providing safe spaces for students
This badge is issued upon active participation in a synchronous webinar with Institute facilitators and subsequent submission of reflection activities.