Race & Rurality in Schools: SEL and New Commitments
The Race & Rurality in Schools: SEL and New Commitments Badge is issued by the Rural Education Institute. This badge is for teachers, school administrators, and community stakeholders and explores issues related to equity, social justice, diversity and inclusion. The badge examines the ways in which mental health intersects with race, rurality, and education. Social Emotional Learning is of utmost importance during recent unprecedented times of racial, social, and political unrest. The badge promotes reflection and a call-to-action in ensuring equity, access, and opportunities for all.
The verified recipient of this badge has demonstrated competence in the following areas:
- School diversity
- Cultural awareness and its impact on student learning
- Community supports to address the mental health needs of diverse learners
- Create a list of actionable strategies to develop an equitable classroom
- Complete the cultural assessment and identify practices that need to be amended
- Develop an action plan with your school team for implementing SEL
This badge is issued upon active participation in a synchronous webinar with Institute facilitators and subsequent submission of reflection activities.